SunStroke Giant Vegetable Weigh-Off
The SunStroke Giant Vegetable Weigh-Off is the Arizona Giant Vegetable Growers Association (AZGVG) official weigh-off for 2021. The event will run from now until 5:00 PM (Arizona time) on Sunday, November 28, 2021.
Because vegetables are often fickle and show little respect for scheduled weigh-off dates, the AZGVG has set-up this alternative event to record and recognize the weights, and measurements, of vegetables harvested at times other than the normally scheduled events in Arizona or the Southwest.
The SunStroke Giant Vegetable Weigh-Off will allow growers the chance to get their giant vegetables weighed, or measured, in accordance with International and Guinness World Record giant vegetable competition rules. The AZGVG will judge any vegetable presented by a grower.
All Arizona entries, will be considered to help establish giant vegetable records in Arizona.
To enter a giant vegetable in the competition, a gardener needs to contact the AZGVG by email at GrowEmBig@AZGVG.COM to arrange a time and place to weigh the entry. An AZGVG representative will assist the grower weigh, or measure, their giant vegetable as required.
A list of recognized Arizona Records for giant vegetables can be found on the AZGVG webpage at the Arizona Records tab.
SunStroke Weigh-Off Rules
1. Entries will be accepted until 5:00 PM on Sunday, November 28, 2021.
2. An Arizona gardener many enter a maximum of three (3) virtual entries — in each class — per year. Any other entries must be entered at an on-site weigh-off in accordance with international giant vegetable weigh-off rules.
3. Virtual entries must be weighed on an AZGVG owned certified scale, or a certified scale — such as a supermarket deli scale — in the presence of an AZGVG officer or its designee. Growers must supply a picture of their entry on the scale, the readout should be visible.
4. Virtual entries must be witnessed by an impartial third party witness — to include an AZGVG officer or its designee.
5. Any giant vegetable challenging the United States, or World record must be verified by a Great Pumpkin Commonwealth (GPC) representative (either in person or by his/her designate).
6. Entries must adhere to generally accepted International and Guinness World Record competition rules.
7. Growers must complete the “2021 Official Giant Vegetable Entry Form” with each entry.
8. The entry form, and pictures, must be submitted to GrowEmBig@AZGVG.com within 24 hours of the specimen being weighed.
Other Giant Vegetable Eligibility Rules
1. All giant vegetables must be healthy. A healthy vegetable must be free of significant soft spots or leakage.
2. Skin may be cracked but not leaking.
3. Giant Vegetables must be weighed on certified scales, calibrated to two (2) decimal places in pounds or pounds and ounces.
4. Giant vegetable weights must be reported in pounds and ounces, or pounds to the second (2nd) decimal place. (i.e. 6 pounds 5.53 ounces; or 6.35 pounds.)
5. Stem must be cut within 1.0 inches of the specimen.
6. Green fruit will be allowed for weigh-off purposes.
7. Specimen must be weighed on a certified scale of appropriate sensitivity.
8. No frozen specimens will be allowed.
9. The entirety of the fruit flesh must be connected – pictures or video must show this.
AZGVG 2020 SunStroke Giant Vegetable Weigh-Off Results
Giant Pumpkin (Heavy)
|1||Scott Culp||Sierra Vista||404.5||8/15/20|
|3||Rick Johnson||Paradise Valley||134.2||7/21/20|
|EXH||Rick Johnson||Paradise Valley||56.2||7/21/20|
|DMG||Rick Johnson||Paradise Valley||52.7||7/21/20|
Giant Watermelon (Heavy)
|1||Scott Culp||Sierra Vista||118.35||8/15/20|
|EXH||Scott Culp||Sierra Vista||102.05||8/2/20|